NBA Power Rankings: Christmas Day
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Today is a day for family, friends, giving, and one of the best traditions in sports: NBA Christmas Day. Though we haven’t tried to power rank NBA teams since Thanksgiving, we felt Christmas Day would be the prime time to release new rankings. We all know the NBA season really doesn’t begin until Christmas Day. NBA Power Rankings: Christmas Day.
On tap for tomorrow, a five-game slate.
- 76ers at Knicks – Noon
- Cavaliers at Warriors – 3 PM
- Wizards at Celtics – 5:30 PM
- Rockets at Thunder – 8 PM
- Timberwolves at Lakers – 10:30 PM
30. Atlanta Hawks (8-25) [TG: 30]
- The Hawks beat the Mavs on Saturday and still couldn’t get out of the bottom spot. Yikes. The rough season in the ATL continues.
29. Dallas Mavericks (9-25) [TG: 27]
- Mark Cuban’s Mavs are in the midst of a tough stretch. Over their last ten, Dallas is 2-8. The Mavericks rank in the bottom tier of the league in both field goal percentage and offensive rebound percentage, an excellent recipe for failure.
28. Orlando Magic (11-23) [TG: 22]
- After a hot 8-4 start, the Magic have gone ice cold. Since November 10th, Orlando’s record is 3-19 including two losing streaks of 8+ games.
27. Memphis Grizzlies (10-23) [TG: 20]
- Since David Fizdale’s dismissal in November, the Grizzlies have yet to show any improvement. Expect a fire sale at the trade deadline. Gasol should be on the move, we’ll wait and see on Mike Conley.
26. Los Angeles Lakers (11-20) [TG: 23]
- With all eyes firmly on Lonzo, the young Lakers are still experiencing growing pains under second-year head coach Luke Walton. Brandon Ingram’s emergence as a star is promising for LA. The Lake Show will be an intriguing watch at the trade deadline as they look to cash in on their young assets as well as positioning themselves to make a run at a marquee free-agent this summer.
25. Phoenix Suns (12-23) [TG: 26]
24. Charlotte Hornets (12-21) [TG: 18]
23. Chicago Bulls (10-22) [TG: 29]
22. Sacramento Kings (11-21) [TG: 28]
21. Brooklyn Nets (12-20) [TG: 25]
20. Los Angeles Clippers (13-19) [TG: 24]
19. Philadelphia 76ers (14-18) [TG: 12]
18. Utah Jazz (15-19) [TG: 21]
17. New York Knicks (17-15) [TG: 17]
16. New Orleans Pelicans (17-16) [TG: 15]
15. Miami Heat (17-16) [TG: 19]
14. Portland Trail Blazers (17-16) [TG: 11]
13. Indiana Pacers (19-14) [TG: 16]
12. Oklahoma City Thunder (18-15) [TG: 14]
11. Denver Nuggets (18-15) [TG: 13]
10. Washington Wizards (18-15) [TG: 10]
9. Milwaukee Bucks (17-14) [TG: 9]
8. Detroit Pistons (18-14) [TG: 4]
7. Minnesota Timberwolves (20-13) [TG: 7]
6. Boston Celtics (27-9) [TG: 1]
5. San Antonio Spurs (23-11) [TG: 8]
- The Spurs are just doing Spurs things. You know what I’m talking about it. If you don’t you’ve been under a rock for two decades.
4. Toronto Raptors (23-8) [TG: 6]
- Whether anyone else knows it or not, the Raptors are silently proving their case as legitimate contenders in the East. While Cleveland and Boston get the headlines, Toronto has been on the cusp for years now.
3. Cleveland Cavaliers (24-9) [TG: 5]
- LeBron and the Cavs finally figured it out in December and strung together a nice winning streak. They’ll get Isaiah Thomas back soon. Watch out.
2. Golden State Warriors (26-7) [TG: 3]
- Cavs/Warriors today should be fun, as always.
1. Houston Rockets (25-6) [TG: 2]
- The Rockets are coming for the Warriors and they want them to know it.